Saturday, May 17, 2014

Simple Fettuccini Bolognese



             I think if given the chance to meet anyone from the culinary world, it would be Giada for me. Mrs. De Laurentiis has always been an idol in my eyes and one who I continuously go to for recipes. I own almost all of her cookbooks and can proudly tell you what time all her shows are on. I’ve even pictured myself on her show, cooking alongside……because for one- I’m allowed to dream and two- it would undoubtedly be a great episode! J

            But anyway, I’ll spare you my soliloquy and get to the point. This here recipe was only tweaked by changing the meat part. I took what my Mom raised me on when it came to Bolognese and so therefore went with a meatloaf mix. Rather than just beef, it contains both pork and veal as well. In the end, it came out bread-sopping great and yielded a ton of sauce. Hubby and I chose to freeze the remaining and have since used it on pizzas and manicotti. So unless you are a family of 5, you will be the happy owners of a few vats of Bolognese after making this.

            I hope you try this recipe and enjoy a hearty and comforting meal from one of my faves. Here’s to you, Giada!


Simple Fettuccini Bolognese
Slightly adapted from: Food Network- Giada De Laurentiis
Serves:4-6

OBJ: TCW be able to quickly prepare a warm and comforting dish

Ingredients:
1/4 C olive oil  
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 celery stalk, coarsely chopped
1 carrot, coarsely chopped
1 lb ground meatloaf mix- veal, pork and beef
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1/4 C flat-leaf parsley, chopped, or about 1 TBS dried parsley
8 fresh basil leaves, chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 C freshly grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan
1 lb fettuccini, cooked according to package directions

Procedures:
1. In a large skillet heat the olive oil. When almost smoking, add the onion and garlic and sauté over medium heat until the onions become very soft, about 8 minutes
2. Add the celery and carrot and sauté for 5 minutes. Raise heat to high and add the meatloaf mix. Sauté, stirring frequently and breaking up any large lumps and cook until meat is no longer pink, about 10 minutes
3. Add the tomatoes, parsley and basil and cook over medium low heat until the sauce thickens
4. Season with salt and pepper
**This will take approximately 1/2 hour. Finish Bolognese with Pecorino Romano**
5. Plate your pasta and top with sauce, add more grated cheese!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment